Auditorium is closed. Annex seating is now available.
LUNAFEST is a distinctive touring film festival that honors the talents and stories of women everywhere through a series of short films. This 90-minute program of films is shown in more than 150 venues throughout the U.S. and Canada.
All proceeds from LUNAFEST are donated to charity, and 85 percent of the evening’s profits will help fund an FAU scholarship for a female student on the Jupiter campus. The remaining 15 percent will go to LUNAFEST’s primary cause partner, the Breast Cancer Fund, an organization dedicated to identifying and advocating for the elimination of environmental causes of the disease.
Over the last 11 years, LUNAFEST has grown to more than 150 events a year and raised over $1.2 million for worthwhile women’s organizations, while raising hope and awareness for women everywhere. The LUNAFEST films range from animation to fictional drama, and cover topics such as women’s health, motherhood, body image, relationships, cultural diversity and breaking barriers. The films are selected by an outside board of advisors comprised of notable filmmakers and industry leaders.
This season’s program of nine selected films will compel discussion, make you laugh, tug at your heartstrings and motivate women and men to make a difference in their community. Incredibly diverse in style and content, LUNAFEST films are united by a common thread of exceptional storytelling.
Nine Short Films
Blank Canvas — Going through chemotherapy, a woman turns her baldness into a blank canvas for self-expression.
Chalk — A gymnast selected for an elite training camp makes new discoveries about bodies, boys and friendship.
Flawed — An animated tale about accepting yourself, flaws and all.
Georgena Terry — How the founder of Terry Bicycles revolutionized cycling with bike frames designed for a women’s bodies.
Lunch Date — Getting dumped hurts, especially for a woman whose boyfriend sends his fourteen-year-old brother to break the news.
Self-Portrait with Cows Going Home and Other Works — A rare and soulful portrait of the ironically camera-shy Sylvia Plachy, a renowned contemporary photographer.
The Bathhouse — Escaping the streets of the modern city, a group of women are transformed by a bathhouse paradise.
Whakatiki — A day at the river awakens the spirit of a woman held captive by years of broken promises.
When I Grow Up — A mother and daughter sell tacos and dream of a better life.
No additional charge for same-day registration; all tickets are $15, in advance or at the door, including FAU staff, faculty, and students.
Lecture # S1R2 - ANNEX SEATING
Lifelong Learning Complex, Jupiter Campus
Thursday – March 21, 2013
Festivities start - 6:00 p.m. Films start - 7:00 p.m.